Failure to Give Proper Signal

Failure to properly signal before making a turn may result in a violation in Connecticut. You could get a ticket for the failure to give proper signal. If you have received this ticket, you can learn more about it here. Learn more about improper signaling, proper signaling, and what to do if you face this ticket.

How to Signal

Any stop or turn signal that is required may be given by a mechanical signally device on the car, or by using one’s hand or arm. If you fail to do this, you will be in violation of the failure to give proper signal law. You can learn more about this Connecticut statute here.

When signaling with a hand or an arm, there are certain directions that must be followed. To make a stop or slow down, the hand should be extended downward. To turn left or drive away from a curb or edge of highway the hand should be extended horizontally with the forefinger pointed. To turn right, the hand should be extended upward.

When signaling with the vehicle’s turn signals, the vehicle must turn in the direction that the vehicle signals. For example, if you want to turn right, make sure that the turn signal is pointing to the right. The signal should be stopped or disengaged immediately after completing the turn for which the signal was given.

Consequences for Failure to Give Proper Signal

Violating the failure to give proper signal laws in Connecticut may result in a motor vehicle ticket. If this happens, you face fines, a violation on your driving history, as well as one DMV point assessed against your driver’s license. Motor vehicle tickets can also sometimes increase your car insurance premiums. This happens at the discretion of the insurance company, so it is difficult to predict. Still, you can avoid these consequences by successfully contesting the ticket. To do this, you need to plead “not guilty” and take the ticket to court. If you can successfully fight the ticket, it will be dropped and you won’t face any of these consequences. 

It is a good idea to have an attorney assist you if you want to contest a ticket, whether it is a failure to give proper signal ticket or some other driving infraction. We would be happy to represent you if this is the route that you want to go. Contact our office to discuss your situation and we can advise you on your options. We can also help you decide which option is best for your situation.

Submit your ticket & get it taken care of now!

You can take care of your ticket in minutes.

Quick Information Guide