Out-of-State Moving Violations and Connecticut License

Motor vehicle violations don’t always occur in the state that your license was issued in. If you live in Connecticut, but you were traveling in another state, you might face a motor vehicle violation issued by another state. If you find yourself in this situation, you might be wondering how this out-of-state violation will affect your Connecticut license. On this page, I will discuss if and how your out-of-state motor vehicle violation, specifically a moving violation, will transfer to Connecticut.

Connecticut DMV

Each Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is generally the same, but might have specific policies that differ from state to state. Because of this, points for a violation in another state will not transfer to a person’s Connecticut license. However, any moving violation conviction that a person gets out-of-state will be communicated through all 50 states. For example, if you have a moving violation in Florida and you have a Connecticut license, the Florida DMV will contact the Connecticut DMV to inform them of your conviction.

Motor vehicle violations and point assessments vary from state to state. But, there are some charges that will have repercussions in any state. If you face one of these charges the Connecticut DMV may then take action against your driver’s license. Commonly, this is done by assessing points against your license.

Moving Violations that Transfer

The moving violations that will transfer to a Connecticut license, no matter which state they were committed in, include:

If another state’s DMV notifies the Connecticut DMV Commissioner of a felony committed by a Connecticut resident with a motor vehicle, the Commissioner has the right to suspend that driver’s license. Alternatively, if a person has already been convicted of a DUI and then gets an out-of-state DUI, the Commissioner can consider this that person’s second DUI, even though it occurred in another state. This is only the case if the out-of-state DUI occurs within ten years of the first DUI. If this is the case, the Commissioner can suspend that driver’s license in the state of Connecticut. In addition, the Commissioner can have the driver install an ignition interlock device (IID) in their vehicle(s). In the event that the other state has a definition of DUI that differs from Connecticut’s definition, this won’t be used as a defense to the Commissioner’s penalties. For example, if the BAC limit is different in another state, this will not change the Commissioner’s penalties.

Getting Help

Dealing with an out-of-state moving violation can be a hassle. You will have to deal with penalties in the state where the violation occurred, as well as penalties in your home state. This is where a motor vehicle violations lawyer can be very helpful. We can help you find an out-of-state lawyer to assist you with your charges. In addition, we can assist with any issues that you may have in Connecticut as a result of the moving violation. To get help now, you can contact our office.

Submit your ticket & get it taken care of now!

You can take care of your ticket in minutes.

Quick Information Guide