Public Passenger Licenses vs. Commercial Driver’s Licenses

There are a few different types of licenses available in the state of Connecticut. These licenses allow you to operate different types of vehicles. Aside from the driver’s license that most adults have, there are two other types of licenses. These specific types of licenses correspond to different types of vehicles. These licenses are public passenger licenses and commercial driver’s licenses. On this page, I will discuss the differences between these types of licenses.

Why Are There Different Licenses?

Special licenses are needed to operate certain vehicles. This is because these vehicles need special training to be properly operated. Trailer trucks weighing thousands of pounds can be dangerous on the road. Vehicles containing hazardous materials can also be dangerous if driven improperly. These vehicles can cause a lot of damage if an accident occurs, so it is important that drivers of these vehicles know what they are doing.

Another reason why CDL holders need to be careful is that they can carry precious cargo. Commercial motor vehicles and public passenger vehicles can carry many children or adults. This means that an accident could injure a lot of people. For these reasons, drivers of these vehicles avoid accidents at all costs.

Public Passenger License

You need a public passenger license to drive a motor vehicle that transports passengers for a fee. Often, these types of vehicles can carry over half a dozen passengers. This is the case in many types of buses or large vans. Some examples of public passenger vehicles are:

  • Motor buses and motor coaches.
  • Camp vehicles. But, some camp vehicles do not need a public passenger license endorsement to drive.
  • Services buses.
  • School buses. To operate a school bus, you need a public passenger license as well as a commercial driver’s license.
  • Taxis.
  • Livery vehicles.
  • Activity vehicles.
  • Public service motor vehicles (such as airport shuttles, limos, etc.).
  • Student transportation vehicles.

There are different types of public passenger license endorsements as well. Often, you will need more than one type of endorsement to operate that type of vehicle. The public passenger endorsement classifications are “a,” “f,” “s,” and “v.”

Commercial Driver’s License

A commercial driver’s license (CDL) is required to operate commercial motor vehicles. In most cases, people apply for CDLs so that they can operate certain types of vehicles for their jobs. There are three CDL classifications. They are:

  • Class “C” CDL. Required for a vehicle that transports hazardous material or 16 or more passengers.
  • Class “B” CDL. Required for a vehicle that weighs at least 26,001 pounds. Also required for a vehicle that tows vehicles under 10,000 pounds.
  • Class “A” CDL. Required for one vehicle or a combination of vehicles that weigh at least 26,001 pounds. Also required for a vehicle that can tow another vehicle weighing at least 10,000 pounds.

Your License

As you can see, you will be able to do different things based on what type of license you have. In addition, a motor vehicle infraction will differ based on what kind of license you have. You can learn more by reading other pages in this section. For more information and assistance, you can also contact my office.

Submit your ticket & get it taken care of now!

You can take care of your ticket in minutes.

Quick Information Guide