Connecticut Driver’s License Endorsements

If you have a commercial driver’s license (CDL) in the state of Connecticut, there are 11 endorsements that you can have on this license. Different endorsements allow you to operate different types of vehicles. On this page, you can learn more about each endorsement, what it does, and if you need it.

Connecticut CDL Endorsements

As previously mentioned, there are 11 CDL license endorsements recognized in the state of Connecticut. Let’s go over each of them.

The first endorsement is the “A” endorsement. This is required in order to operate activity vehicles in Connecticut. This refers to students transportation vehicles, and any “F” endorsement vehicles connected to events/activities sponsored by schools, yet not transporting students back and forth from school. In the event that the vehicle requires a Class A, B, or C CDL, and people are being transported, a “P” endorsement is also needed.

The next endorsement is the “F” endorsement. This is needed for people who want to operate motor coaches, motor buses, taxis, service vehicles, or livery vehicles. Again, if the vehicle in question requires a Class A, B, or C CDL, and people are being transported, a “P” endorsement is also necessary.

Then there is the “H” endorsement. “H” endorsements are needed if you are driving a vehicle that transports hazardous material.

Next is the “N” endorsement, or the liquid bulk/tank cargo endorsement. You need this when operating a vehicle that is a Class A, B, or C CDL and the vehicle is hauling liquid gas or a liquid. This is needed if the liquid/liquid gas is a permanently mounted cargo tank of 119 gallons or a portable tank of 1,000+ gallons. This endorsement is also needed when operating a Class C vehicle transporting hazardous material above the weights listed above.

Also consider the “P” endorsement for passenger/transportation endorsement. If you want to drive a vehicle that requires a Class A, B, or C CDL that is transporting people, you need this license endorsement.

Next there is the “S” or school bus endorsement. If you want to operate a school bus, you need this license and a “P” endorsement.

Then there is the “T” or doubles/triples endorsement. If you want to operate a vehicle towing more than one trailer that requires a Class A CDL, you need this endorsement.

The next endorsement is the “V” endorsement, which is the student transportation vehicle endorsement. In order to transport students to and from school, you need this endorsement. A “P” endorsement may also be required depending on the vehicle.

Finally, there is the “X” endorsement for transporting hazardous material by way of a tank.

Getting and Keeping Your Endorsement

Obtaining and keeping the endorsements listed here are crucial for those seeking certain types of employment. For more information on each endorsement, eligibility, and issues that could arise due to motor vehicle violations, contact our office. We are happy to answer your questions and offer the support that you need.

Submit your ticket & get it taken care of now!

You can take care of your ticket in minutes.

Quick Information Guide