Getting A Speeding Ticket In Kentucky

While driving in another state, you might not be entirely familiar with their local motor vehicle violations. You likely know that speeding is against the law. But, when you are in a new place, you might not know the specific speed limit for an area or you might not be paying attention to this fact. Unfortunately, this can result in a speeding ticket or another motor vehicle violation. If you find yourself with a speeding ticket in Kentucky, especially as an out of state driver, you need more information on this ticket. This can help you determine the best course of action to take for your situation. For this information, read on.


In some states, fines for speeding and similar motor vehicle violations vary by county. But, in Kentucky, the fine is the same throughout the state. This means that it does not matter where in Kentucky you were pulled over for speeding. Wherever you were, the fine will be the same or at least similar.

The fine itself as well as all of the information that you need can be found on the ticket that you get when charged. You can find information about courthouses, your charge, and who to contact if you have additional questions. In addition to the fine, you might have to pay surcharges. This could include court fees and other fees. The ticket will give you information on these additional charges. If you lose this ticket, you can find this information online or by contacting the Kentucky court.

Driving School

One option that you have as a driver charged with a speeding ticket is to complete driving school. In many cases, paying for driving school retraining is cheaper than paying the speeding fine. But, there are still costs for driving school and it is a time commitment. Especially as an out-of-state driver, you might not want to deal with the difficulties of this option.

In this situation, you can plead no contest or not guilty to the ticket. If you plead no contest, you can pay the fine or ask to take driver retraining as another option. Or, you can plead not guilty and take your case to traffic court. A motor vehicle violation lawyer can help you decide which is a better option given your situation. If you are an out of state resident, this might impact your decision. For more information on how to proceed, you can contact our office.

Submit your ticket & get it taken care of now!

You can take care of your ticket in minutes.

Quick Information Guide