Insurance Compliance Hearings in Connecticut

In the state of Connecticut, you need to have car insurance in order to properly operate a motor vehicle. While it can be frustrating to make a car insurance payment every month, and tempting to let this lapse, it can be even more frustrating to face an insurance compliance hearing after being pulled over by the police. Having proper car insurance protects you, other drivers on the roads, passengers, and pedestrians. Even if you are a safe driver, it is best to have car insurance to protect yourself and avoid a car insurance violation. You can learn more about insurance compliance hearings in Connecticut here.

Notification of an Insurance Issue

If you are driving and you are stopped by the police, they will ask for your driver’s license, vehicle registration, and car insurance. If you cannot provide valid car insurance, you can get a ticket for lack of insurance. However, there are some situations in which the police or the DMV will make a mistake and try to fine you for lack of insurance when they should not.

If the police think that you are driving without insurance, they will notify the DMV. You will receive a letter from the DMV along with a fine for not having insurance. At this point, you have a few options to pursue. First, you can send in proof of valid car insurance on your vehicle. In this case, the DMV made a mistake and it can easily be rectified by proving your insurance coverage. To do this, you can send a letter from your insurance company that outlines your policy or you can provide an insurance card. After doing this, you should receive a notice from the DMV within 14 days that confirms your coverage and drops the fine against you.

Your second option is to prove to the DMV that you either sold your vehicle or that you moved out of the state. To do this you can mail the DMV a copy of your bill of sale, junk receipt, repossession document, total loss document or the title on or before the cancellation of your insurance.

If you need to prove that you moved out of the state, you can make a copy of your new registration with the new state you live in and send that to the DMV. You should receive a notice from the DMV within 14 days that confirms they received your paperwork. This should mean that you do not have to pay the insurance fee.

Insurance Compliance Hearing

There is a third option that you can pursue if you get a lack of insurance notice from the DMV. You can request a hearing to contest your insurance fine. At this hearing, you can attempt to prove that your car was registered in your name at the time your insurance was canceled and that you insurance was maintained while it was registered in your name. In order to request a hearing to contest this, you can contact the DMV before the date of the suspension.

Getting Help

If you or someone you know has received a notice from the DMV regarding your motor vehicle insurance, call my office and learn more about the options available. If you want to request an insurance compliance hearing, it is a good idea to have an attorney assist you with this process. A lawyer can review your situation and help you determine the best way to defend yourself at the hearing. For more information, contact my office.

Submit your ticket & get it taken care of now!

You can take care of your ticket in minutes.

Quick Information Guide