There are many reasons why you might want to get a copy of your motor vehicle history. This is available from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Connecticut. Checking your history will allow you to see if points have been assessed against your license. This might be the case if you have a recent motor vehicle infraction. If there has been some type of mistake, you will want to have it corrected. Another reason to check your motor vehicle history is to see if points from a former infraction are still visible. It takes time for these points to get erased from your driving history. So, it is important to check your history frequently. To learn how to get a copy of your motor vehicle history, read on!
Obtaining Motor Vehicle History
There are two ways that you can get a copy of your Connecticut motor vehicle history. You can send the request in the mail or you can visit the DMV in person. Both ways ask you to contact the DMV and pay a $20 application fee. You will also have to fill out a Copy Records Request Form. The Copy Records Request Form asks you to fill out information about:
- Which license records you are requesting (ex. driving history, driver license application, driver’s license file information).
- Which registration records you are requesting. For example, the registration file information, registration certificate, registration return plate receipt, insurance information.
- Your personal information.
- Information about the vehicle(s) that you drive.
- Photographic identification in the form of a passport, driver’s license, or state issued I.D.
Getting Motor Vehicle History Through The Mail
If you would like to get your motor vehicle history by sending a request through the mail, follow these steps:
- Check the box on the request form that says “driver history”.
- Fill out the rest of the Copy Records Request Form.
- Fill out the application code on the back of the request form.
- Write a check to the DMV for $20.
- Make a copy of your photo identification.
- Mail all this information to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
Copy Records Unit
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161
A few weeks after this request, you should receive a copy of your motor vehicle history in the mail.
Getting Motor Vehicle History Through In Person
On the other hand, you can get a copy of your motor vehicle history by going to the DMV. You can do this by bringing the information listed above to a Department of Motor Vehicles office near you.
If you find an error on your motor vehicle history, you need to get it corrected. Or, if you have any issues obtaining this document, you can contact my office at 203-567-6474 for help. We are happy to assist you with this process.